Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Ethel and Chipmunks

Ethel happily put up with all of my pets. At one time I had 23 pet chipmunks that had run of the house.
They would run up my leg and jump on the table and eat with me. Their favorite thing was butter and velveeta cheese which we always had an ample supply of since the local welfare recipients would trade it to Bill for wheat. The worst thing Ethel ever did to me was to make me get rid of most of my chipmunks because they ate all of her begonias. That was not so bad though, because I needed food for my 3 pet alligators that enjoyed taking baths with me. Wow what a fantastic mother. She was always there when I needed her, I'm proud to say vice-versa. The only punishment was to say" Jim if you don’t correct your behavior, I'm going to have to tell Bill".
A great and facinating book could be written about Bill's hired hands that Ethel housed, fed and cared for. Loyal Jackson was my favorite. He was a true alcoholic and jack of all trades- a logger, miner, cowboy, mechanic, war hero and you name it …Jackson could do it.
Ethel sponsored square dances every Friday night for the local kids-we usually had 4 squares with Henry McKinley doing the calling. On one of those evenings, Jackson had been on a royal drunk and was upstairs having a bad case of D.T.s. All of the local "bridge club" ladies were sitting in a row watching their children dance. Jackson pissed a bucket full and it ran down a crack in the ceiling and it poured down onto the watching ladies- this was the foulest, stinkiest piss imaginable- oh well- I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

Jim

1 comment:

  1. I just found out: Don't look at pictures while you are composing your comment--it goes away.

    My take on Ethel. She was raised a lady & always was, but turned into the perfect mom & cowboy's wife.

    My family with Skype are calling me, but I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete