Sunday, June 14, 2009

From Pat Patterson on Wild Bill

Jim , I have the sincerest desire to be there on the 20th , but my physical condition won't allow it at this time. As you know I had known Bill for some 79 years before his demise and consider him one of my dearest friends if not the dearest and certainly the most loyal.
Every word in your recent letter (obituary-sic) exemplifies him 100 percent, it couldn’t have been more perfect. I have followed him in my mind thru just about every course of action written in your letter; some I could tell about and some that I wouldn’t tell about. He and Old White Rock made a top roper out of me in my early years and though we had been separated geographically in our later years we had continued to stay in touch as time rolled by. I remember one time, when I was 10 years old, Granddad Isaacks and I drove to Walt Mossman’s ranch down by Bishops gap south of Cruces. They were branding calves that day and at lunch time, being somewhat of a guitar player, I sang a song "I've got no use for Women" and Bill who was a couple of years older than I , said "You just aren't old enough yet".
Old Man Mossman had more cats than he had use for and Bill and Jeff caught all the "Tom" cats and stuffed them head first in a boot and castrated them.
Bill was a great friend and we held Him and Ethel as two of those that it was must to visit each year.
I'm sure there will be many friends at Chama on the 20th but I don't believe there will be any one there who knew Wild Bill any longer than I, or have any more affection for him than this writer.
Hoping to get back to Chama one of these days.,

With sincerest Regards
Pat and Betty Patterson

No comments:

Post a Comment